Sofrito is the foundation for many Puerto Rican stews and rice dishes including arroz con gandules and arroz con pollo. It is a blend of herbs and spices that give dishes their distinctive taste and color. Sofrito, a potpourri of onions, garlic, coriander, and peppers browned in either olive oil or land and colored with achiote (annatoo seeds).
- 1 tbs annatto seeds
- 1 large green pepper, stemmed and seeded
- 1 large red pepper, stemmed and seeded
- 12 sweet peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 2 tomatoes, cored and cut into chunks
- 2 medium onions, peeled
- 1 head of garlic, peeled
- 1 bunch of cilantro leaves
- 1 bunch of culantrillo leaves
- 1 tbsp oregano
Place all ingredients on food processor and mix until coarsely chopped. Season to taste with salt.
Place in container or freeze in cube tray to freeze in portions.
My Fav Recipe Book
Find recipes like this and more in the recipe book Puerto Rican Cookery by Carmen Aboy Valldejuli. My mother gave me this recipe book on my 18th birthday and it has been my staple recipe book ever since.