Top 10 Traditional Puerto Rican Recipes
Get the 10 most popular Puerto Rican recipes, everything from pasteles to coquito.
- Mofongo - made by mashing tostones (fried plantains) with garlic, olive oil, and chicarrones or bacon.
- Chicken Asopao - chicken and rice stew
- Roasted Pork - pig roasted over a charcoal pit
- Arroz con pollo - chicken with rice
- Coquito - eggnog-like alcoholic beverage, made with rum and coconut milk, sweet condensed milk, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Bacalaitos - fried codfish fritters
- Arroz con gandules - rice with pigeon peas
- Tembleque - coconut milk pudding
- Pasteles - made of mashed plantains or yucca, filled with meat and other vegetables, wrapped in the leaves of the banana tree
- Arroz con dulce - rice cooked with spices, raisins, sugar, milk, and coconut milk
My Fav Recipe Book
Find recipes like this and more in the recipe book Puerto Rican Cookery by Carmen Aboy Valldejuli. My mother gave me this recipe book on my 18th birthday and it has been my staple recipe book ever since.